03 January 2013

HNDE Syllabus Year 1 – Semester I - EN 1104: Effective Communication Skills I


 EN 1104: Effective Communication Skills I

Conversational routines
·         Greetings / thanking / apologizing / complimenting / leave taking etc.
·         Types of activities: Dialogues / conversations in different settings (pair and group work) e.g. at the post office / office / market
·         Procedure: listen to the dialogue. Practise it with a partner. Then write their own dialogues and practise saying them.

Interaction in ‘service’ situations
·         Enrolling in a school / institute, obtaining membership in a library / club / association, reserving seats in a cinema / train / on the plane
·         Type of activities: role play, simulation
·         Functions: request, explain, justify, and decide,

Functional dialogues
·         Buying, selling, bargaining, complaining
·         Type of activities: role play
·         Exponents: Can I have…, I would like to…, I want to change this shirt…, Can I pay by cheque/credit card?

Enact social situations
·         Situations: Tea / dinner / birth day party / theatre / bus queue, .etc
·         Types of activities: simulations, dialogue between the host/hostess and guests, guests themselves.
·         Language focus: welcoming, thanking, wishing, congratulating, making, making a short speech, informal conversation.
·         Conversation between persons in a queue: about the play / film, long queue etc.
·         Language focus: explain, discuss, compare, and complain

Fluency based activities
·         Focus: how to maintain fluency in a conversation avoiding excessive pausing, breakdowns and errors in grammar and pronunciation.  Involve students in talking about a range of topics which engage their interests, experiences and opinions.
·         Types of activities: Use pictures, newspaper headlines cartoons as stimuli. Provide necessary language (structures, words).and discussion questions, e.g., Do you agree with what the woman in the picture is saying?

Functional dialogues
·         Asking for help / permission / directions
·         Exponents: Can I ask you a favour, May I…, Could you please…, Would you mind if I …, I would like to… I wonder if I could…
·         Types of activity: Role plays the model dialogue. Prepare their own dialogues. Perform them before the class.